The boy is very sentimental, which makes him a bit of a hoarder. It’s sweet, but our apartment doesn’t allow us the luxury to save every little memento. I recently noticed his favorite shirt had finally gotten a small hole in the shoulder after being worn at least once a week for over a year. While I took this as a sign to retire the garment, he was reluctant to let it go. As a semi-compromise I offered to give it new life with a DIY that has laid waiting on my Pinterest board.
I can use a sewing machine but I am definitely not a seamstress. This DIY involved some trial and error, but overall I made it work. I’m sure I’ll do it again next time the boy gives up a beloved button-down that catches my fancy.
First, I ironed the shirt then snipped off the sleeves. I used a tank that fits well as a guide and pinned where arms holes and side seams should go. And that’s where I first ran into trouble. I’m broad in the hips and sewed it too tight at the bottom. Luckily I managed to trim some length and add vents to the sides so that it wasn’t as constricting.
It’s a tad short now but works well tucked-in. Once I re-finished the hem and the arm holes I tried it on inside out and marked where darts should go at the bust so the chest fits the way a woman’s shirt should.