Conventional fashion wisdom warns to stay away from horizontal stripes, but with the right silhouette and tailoring you can create a casual or elegant neutral ensemble. Dresses that accentuate your natural waist or have a dropped waist will give you a long and lean look and keep you from looking boxy. Narrow stripes and cotton fabric is a great everyday look paired with a colorful scarf and riding boots. The more structured options with broad stripes are appropriate for work or even drinks when worn with bright pumps or fun statement jewelry.
1. Forever 21 Breton Stripe A-Line Dress – available in cream and navy (pictured) and navy and cream ($19.90)
2. Zara Striped Jersey Dress ($79.90)
4. AQUA Dress – Striped Full Skirt ($88; on sale for $66!)
5. Ann Taylor Mixed Stripe Knit Dress ($129)
6. BCBG Lylah Striped Dress ($268)